Monday, January 5, 2009

Attention Fitness Pros and Enthusiasts!


After browsing some of the regular fitness websites I check out every week I was reading on IHRSA's website (International Health, Racquet, and Sportsclub Association) and found a link to change.gov. This is a link to the President Elects website and has a form to voice your opinion about our nations healthcare system and how you would like to see it changed.

As a Fitness Professional I felt it was my responsibility to let our new administration know my feelings on how best to help alleviate some of our nations health problems. Below is part of the diatribe I sent in. What do you think is the key to bringing down our health care cost? Leave me a comment about your thoughts on healthcare and then I dare you to send them to the President!

"I am a small business owner in the fitness industry and think that one way to combat rising health care costs is to focus on preventative strategies to manage disease and chronic conditions. Exercise is a very powerful prevention strategy that reduces the risk of many diseases such as diabetes that are incredibly costly. I have one client in particular who after suffering from 2 heart attacks and being diagnosed with diabetes started exercising and has now lost over 30 pounds, better manages his diabetes, and feels better than he has in 20 years! I think we should create programs that lower the barrier to exercise and promote healthy lifestyles. Also by making it easier and less expensive to run our businesses we can help the economy by providing more jobs in our communities."

No comments: